Bodrum Style Fig and Pommogranate Pavlova

Not a Turkish recipe this time :)
When I was asked by the "Russian Cultural Day's" organizers to do a cooking show at the organizations. I thought this was a challenge. I am neither Russian nor a chef who knows Russian Cuisine but I am very nostalgic about the great Russian Restaurant in Istanbul "Rejans". It was a very interesting place in BeyoÄŸlu ( Pera), run by a Russian said to be noble family. At first, my grandfather used to take me there, then it was my favorite place for many years until day closed down. I hear now it is reopened but I am too scared to lose my fond memories to try. I remember some favorites in the menü,  Chicken Kievsky, and Duck a'la orange as the main course, the cucumber pickles were priceless and a desert I can not forget was Pavlova. It took me years and many unsuccessful attempts to cook these special dishes. Since I am going to do the show on a stage with no kitchen utensils to make the kievsky and the duck.  I decided on a Pavlova, Bodrum Style. So this is the recipe I will be doing on October 14th at 4pm at the Bodrum Denizciler Kahvesi area ;

Bodrum Style Fig and Pomegranate Pavlova 

For the Meringue

  • 4 egg whites
  • 250g sugar
  • 1 tsp apple vinegar
  • 1 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

  • For the Topping
  • 250 gr Cream
  • 100 gr Thick Yoghurt (süzme or greek)
  • 4 tbs sugar
  • 4 tbs Mandalin Jam or Honey or Mapple Syrup
  • 6 Figgs and some pommogranates to decorate
  • Directions ;
  • Whip the egg whites with a hand blender until they are stiff, than start adding sugar in small amounts at each addition (1tbs each time) when all the sugar is added add vinegar, cornflour and vanilla extract. Line oven tray with baking paper and draw a circle (28cm) in the middle. Place the meringue in the circle and make a crater in the middle. Than cook it in preheated oven at 130 C for one hour. Do not take the meringue from the oven until it has cooled down. 
  • For the topping whip cream with sugar until it is stiff than and the yoghurt. Place this mixture on the crater of the meringue and top it with fresh figs and pommogranate, on top of drizzle the mandalin Jam.
  • Bon Apetit!  Afiyet Olsun!

Post a Comment

0 Comments